Monday 7 February 2011

Lobster noodles (my version)

Lobster, like salmon, seems to have become one of those foods that I originally remember as a rare treat but has now become quite common place. Cooked and frozen Canadian lobster has turned up in a couple of my local supermarkets quite regularly at a very affordable price of around £6 each. It's certainly not going to compare to something freshly caught and cooked but is perfectly acceptable, especially when combined with some strong flavours.
So the onset of Chinese New Year seemed a good time to break out a couple of these frozen morsels and use them to make lobster noodles- something that I'd come across via the blogosphere. I was inspired by this recipe from Rasa Malaysia but adapted it somewhat to suit my ready cooked lobster. So I stir-fried the roughly chopped white parts from half a dozen spring onions, with four fat cloves of crushed garlic, around a teaspoon of chilli flakes, and a thick half inch piece of ginger squished to a paste (I guess a generous tablespoon in total). After a couple of minutes the cooked lobster (an indulgent one crustacean per person), which had been halved and cut into sections went in. This was all vigorously mixed together over a high heat, and when the lobster was heated through I added in the green part of the spring onions, some cooked egg noodles and a couple of tablespoons of dark soy sauce. A bit more stir-frying ensued, and after a check for seasoning it was done!

I ate these noodles with some steamed green vegetables dressed with a little sesame oil. And if I say so myself the whole thing was totally delicious. Though to be honest anything involving ginger, garlic and chilli generally is.

6 comments:

Nora said...

Wow! That looks so delicious. It never ever occurs to me to even look at lobster but at £6 a pop, I shall start seeking them out. And garlic, ginger and chilli sound like the perfect accompaniments. :)

TheFastestIndian said...

My top tips are fulbourn tesco and asda- bit odd as they are not really places I'd associate with a 'premium' product even if it is frozen!

Unknown said...

Very attractive and how tasty! I put a link to here on my fb Comfort Food page.

TheFastestIndian said...

Thanks Joy! This was the first time I've made this and it was surprisingly easy and tasty!

grimblefish said...

This was yum and memorable and looked fab. I am like a professional food reviewer.

TheFastestIndian said...

You are not like a professional food reviewer, but thank you. xx