Wednesday 22 July 2009

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference basil and pine nut margharite pasta


There's definitely been a bit of a boom in the demand for fresh ravioli-type pasta. I'm sure I don't even remember seeing them in the chiller cabinets about five years ago, whereas now they are a regular quick dinner fallback option.
I bought this basil and pine nut margharite pasta from Sainsbury's Taste the Difference range a couple of weeks ago now. I'm not exactly sure what a 'margharite' is supposed to be but to me these just looked like ravioli cut into the shape of big flowers. However, appearances aside this wasn't a bad ready-made pasta. The ravioli did actually taste of spinach, and I could detect a little bit of basil in the filling too. I don't think I would have known there were supposed to be any pine nuts in there too if it hadn't been on the label though, and I'm sure there was more ricotta cheese in the filling than anything else. However with the combination of other flavours, this was nice to enough to eat quite simply dressed with some olive oil and black pepper. Not the most exciting thing in the world but acceptable.

Cost: Sainsbury's Taste the Difference basil and pine nut margharite pasta, around £2.75
I rate it 6.5/10

No comments: