Saturday 5 June 2010

Rhubarb crumble ice cream

There are many reasons why the interweb is brilliant, and this is one of them. I would not have come across this recipe for rhubarb crumble ice cream if it wasn't for the Food Stories blog. Though it's a Delia creation it was seeing this ice cream appear on the blogosphere that prompted me to try it, and with a few handy hints via Twitter (thanks to aforkfulofspaghetti) I can declare it a huge success!

Click through using the links above for the full recipe but the beauty of this ice cream is that it is so simple. Cook rhubarb, mix with cream, add in crumble, make cold=done. As Helen Food Stories mentions I think a reduction in sugar when cooking the rhubarb is beneficial. And I should probably have reduced it even more than I did to really heighten the contrast between sweet crumble, cold cream and sharp rhubarb.

I don't have an ice cream maker so once the cooked rhubarb had cooled and been mixed with the cream, I was committed to a schedule of visits to the freezer and churning. Churning it every hour or so worked really well, though did get increasingly difficult as the ice cream become more frozen and harder to mix. Due to circumstances I churned over the course of about six hours and then left the ice cream overnight in the freezer. The next morning a full upper body work-out was required to undertake the final churn and mixing in the crumble. It then went back in the freezer for a couple of hours and was put in the fridge around half an hour before we ate it. It was definitely worth all the effort though, as the final product was delicious and ice crystal free!

Ideally serve on hot summer's day while wondering if it is worth investing in a proper ice cream maker....

4 comments:

Choclette said...

Indeed the blogosphere is great for finding recipes and this one looks fantastic - I'm always on the look out for rhubarb crumble.

Nora said...

Yay - you made it without an ice cream maker! I saw this and LOVED the look of it, but thought it might be a bit off limits without one. The churning sounds like a bit of a palaver, but it looks totally worth it.
So there's another thing that the blogosphere's good for - making you think things that you thought were impossible are actually totally doable!

Shaheen said...

Does look wonderful. I don't have an ice-cream maker either, so have been been making sorbets instead. Rhubarb sorbet being one of them, but this is now on the list, now that I know I don't require an ice-cream maker. Thanks.

TheFastestIndian said...

Thanks Choclette- I know that you're a prime provider of choccie recipes yourself!

Hi Nora! As long as you're going to be at home anyway the churning isn't actually too bad. The most challenging bit was trying to mix it when it was really solid- resulted in some accidental spoon bending!

Hi Mangocheeks and thanks for the comment! Good luck with trying this out- and think I might try making a sorbet now too!